New Foundation Tai Ji (tai chi) Courses 2020
We have set up Online Classes through Zoom as we are keen to keep in touch so that there is more social interaction and possibility to learn even while we are in our homes. As an attendee to a session on Zoom you can join and try a free account to facilitate entry to our Classes.
We hope that you all stay safe and well during these very difficult times, and keep on practicing and exercising at home for maintaining mental and physical health and well-being
Discover the roots of Tai chi (taiji) with Tai Ji Circle and try the traditional form of Chen Taijiquan (tai chi chuan) with renowned London Chen-style master Liu Quanjun and team. Learn how to relax and benefit health through our practical Foundation Courses, and discover the hidden power in this authentic internal martial art, and understand underlying theories and philosophies that underpin the Chen style.
Next Course Class Start Date: Thursday 9 July 2020
Sundays 10:00-11:00/Thursdays 18:30-19:30
Sign up now for 9 July x 8 class Chen Taiji Beginners Course.
Each new Beginners’ Foundation Course offers eight classes taught by Shifu Liu and Chris, and require you to attend two Foundation classes a week for four weeks on Sundays and Thursdays. This will help new students have time to assimilate the training. The course will begin with the fundamentals and progress each week building firm foundation techniques. If you are unable to attend twice a week you can use the 8-class pass to attend other Foundation classes within the term. As we are also teaching online you can also attend Chris’s two day time Foundation classes for free, so 4 classes a week are available.
Whether you are new to Taijiquan or more experienced, practicing the foundation training is necessary to build strength, calmness, to gain full energy, which is essential for more advanced practice. Our courses are recommended for all students to gain a grasp of the essential requirements of the Chen style.
Everyone welcome, no previous experience is required.
If you have health issues please let us know and have permission from your doctor before joining our classes.
Those TJC members with with previous experience are welcome to join in the Foundation Course classes and use their regular class passes as before.
Our Chen Tai ji Foundation course includes:-
• Nei Gong, internal practice
• Jiben Gong, warm ups and silk reeling exercises
• Understanding tai ji movement principles and the role of the dantian (energy centre) and kua (groin),
• Training for health benefits, agility and better balance
Objectives of the Foundation Chen Taijiquan Course
• Release and learn to soften and relax tension, using your natural breath
• Learn the basic stances and hand positions of the Chen style
• Gain better alignment, balance and coordination
• Standing practice and posture correction for improved alignment and strength
• Understand Silk Reeling exercises, to gain control of balance and weight changing, and to circulate energy throughout the body
• Use of yin yang theory in Tai ji practice
• Understand some of the basic theories and philosophies underlying Chen Taijiquan
• Understand how the martial applications are within apparently simple movements even at the Foundation level.
To help your practice you will receive:-
• Notes with a brief history/principles of Chen style taijiquan with a glossary of terminology
• Detailed posture correction from Shifu Liu, Chris or Darrell
• Lesson Plan for self-practice at home
We will email you a pdf of our notes and information as we are not seeing you in class.