Foundation Tai Ji (tai chi) Classes 2022
TJC’s London classes and workshops will start back online and in venue at St Paul’s in Camden Square and the Islington Chinese Association from Saturday 8 January 2022.
• Shifu Liu Quanjun teaches two weekly Chen Foundation Taijiquan classes that beginners can attend and join at any time.
• TJC’s free Virtual Tai Chi Class with Shifu Liu is on the 1st Saturday of the month, 11:30-12:30 BST. Please Register with Zoom to attend.
• Two weekday Community Foundation Qi Gong classes with Chris 11:00-12:00 on Tuesdays (in venue St Paul’s Camden Square, and free online) and Fridays (online zoom).
Discover the roots of Tai chi (taiji) with Tai Ji Circle and try the traditional form of Chen Taijiquan (tai chi chuan) with renowned London Chen-style master Liu Quanjun and Chris. Learn how to relax and benefit health through our practical Chen Foundation classes, discover the hidden power in this authentic internal martial art, and understand theories and philosophies that underpin the Chen style.
FOUNDATION CHEN FOR NEW STUDENTS
Shifu Liu teaches the syllabus of standing practice and silk reeling exercises that are the base for learning Chen taijiquan forms practice. Classes with him are twice a week at our venues in St Paul’s Church Hall/Camden and Islington Chinese Association/Archway. We understand that it is not always possible to attend twice a week and you can spread out your learning to suit your own timetable. Learning Chen Taiji takes time, persistence, perseverance and repetition of the movements to improve posture, balance and coordination, it’s not a quick fix! First with correction from Shifu Liu we learn Foundation training and then learn the movements of a routine. When a routine has been memorised we can begin to relax into Chen Taijiquan practice. Shifu Liu continues to help us improve through careful correction of posture of each part of a routine, and keeping up foundation training is the regular background practice for very level.
Since the pandemic (we do not accept drop-ins or cash) we have an online booking and payment system https://bookwhen.com/taijicircle so that you can control which class and when you want to attend, either online zoom or in the venue. You set up an account with your email (which is used as your ID) when you click on the class you wish to do and whether you want to pay for a single class or save money and get an 8 x class pass (choose either an in-venue or online pass). There is a shopping cart at the top of the screen, and you get taken through the booking and payment process. If you buy an online class you should be sent an email with the Zoom joining link, or confirmation email if you wish to attend in venue.
See the NEW Beginners Foundation 8 class pass for non-members to use in venue at reduced rates (click on Foundation class and then on the class pass option)
We are still being Covid secure and ask you to wear a mask into the venue, use gel and be careful of social distance.
VENUES for Foundation Classes with Shifu Liu
Sundays from 10:00 – 11:00 at the Islington Chinese Association
21 Hatchard Road, London N19 4NG
Archway underground or Upper Holloway (Rail), walk or bus down Holloway Rd, to Marlborough Road.
Thursdays from 18:30 – 19:30 at St Paul’s Church Hall
Camden Square, London, NW1 9XG
Camden tube or Camden Road Overground Rail, buses 29 or 253 up Camden Road
If you need help with our Bookwhen class booking and payment system check here:
To qualify for concessionary fees (please supply proof at first class):-
• full-time student
• unemployment, housing or on incapacity benefit
• over 60 or under 18 years
• chronic health issues, ask Chris or Shifu Liu (email us)
• children under 16 in adult Foundation class are free with parent
Whether you are new to Taijiquan or more experienced, practicing the foundation training is essential to build strength, calmness, and gain full energy which is necessary for more advanced practice. Our Foundation classes are recommended for all new students to gain a grasp of the essential requirements of the Chen style.
Everyone welcome, no previous experience is required.
If you have health issues please let us know and have permission from your doctor before joining our classes.
Training for our Chen Tai ji Foundation 8 class Pass includes:-
• Nei Gong, internal practice
• Jiben Gong, warm ups and silk reeling exercises
• Understanding tai ji movement principles and the role of the dantian (energy centre) and kua (groin),
• Training for health benefits, agility and better balance
Objectives of the Foundation Chen Taijiquan Classes
• Release and learn to soften and relax tension, using your natural breath
• Learn the basic stances and hand positions of the Chen style
• Gain better alignment, balance and coordination
• Standing practice and posture correction for improved alignment and strength
• Understand Silk Reeling exercises, to gain control of balance and weight changing, and to circulate energy throughout the body
• Use of yin yang theory in Tai ji practice
• Understand some of the basic theories and philosophies underlying Chen Taijiquan
• Understand how the martial applications are within apparently simple movements even at the Foundation level.
To help your practice, if you sign up for 8 classes you will receive:-
• Notes with a brief history/principles of Chen style taijiquan with a glossary of terminology
• Detailed posture correction (in Venues only) from Shifu Liu, Chris (if permittable)
• Lesson Plan for self-practice at home and
• Send you Vimeo class links for reference and practice.
“Thank you so much for this amazing material and for organising everything in such a clear way. This course is by far the best one I have ever taken, and I’ve tried quite a few places!”