New Foundation Tai Ji (tai chi) Courses 2021
ONLINE CLASSES and New Foundation Taiji Course started on Sunday 21 March. We will re-introduce classes in venue when Government restrictions are lifted after 17 May.
When possible our London classes will start back in venue, at St Paul’s in Camden Square and the Islington Chinese Association, with live Zoom online, depending on Government guidelines
Discover the roots of Tai chi (taiji) with Tai Ji Circle and try the traditional form of Chen Taijiquan (tai chi chuan) with renowned London Chen-style master Liu Quanjun and team. Learn how to relax and benefit health through our practical Foundation Courses, and discover the hidden power in this authentic internal martial art, and understand theories and philosophies that underpin the Chen style.
Each Foundation course covers 8 classes twice a week on our different days and venues, the aim to slowly build your skill and familiarity with the practice, and we fit in three courses per 15 week term with our Foundation classes. The best way to book and pay is through our Booking System https://bookwhen.com/taijicircle to get a discount pass on your 8 classes and you can either book for classes ‘online’ or an ‘in venue’ pass.
New Foundation course dates for 2021
1) 10 January to 4 February
10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31 January
2) 14 February to 10 March
14, 18, 21, 25, 28 February
4, 7, 10 March
3) 21 March to 22 April
21, 25, 28 March; 1, 11, 15, 18, 22, April (no classes 4-10 April – Easter break)
1) 2 to 27 May
2, 6, 9, 13, 16, 20, 23, 27 May. (3 + 31 May – bank holidays classes on)
2) 6 June to 1 July
76, 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27 June; 1 July
3) 4 to 29 July
4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 22, 25, 29 July
Summer break 4/5 August – 3 September (possible trip to China)?
1) 5 to 30 September
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30 September
2) 10 October to 4 November
10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31 October; 4 November
3) 15 November to 10 December
14, 19, 21, 25, 28November; 2, 5, 9 December
Sundays from 10:00 – 11:00 at the Islington Chinese Association (Starting 10 January)
21 Hatchard Road, London N19 4NG
Archway underground or Upper Holloway (Rail), walk or bus down Holloway Rd, to Marlborough Road.
Thursdays from 18:00 – 19:00 at St Paul’s Church Hall (Starting 14 January)
Camden Square, London, NW1 9XG
Camden tube or Camden Road Overground Rail, buses 29 or 253 up Camden Road
If you need help with our Bookwhen class booking and payment system check here:
Or for more details to book and pay for the 8 class course see the Bookings and Payments schedule page of classes and choices and purchase an 8 class pass.
Each new Beginners’ Foundation Course offers eight classes ‘Online’ or ‘In Venue’ taught by Shifu Liu and Chris, and require you to attend two Foundation classes a week for four weeks on Sundays and Thursdays. This will give new students time to assimilate the training. If you are unable to attend twice a week you can use the 8-class pass to attend other Foundation classes within the term. As we are also teaching online you can also attend Chris’s two day time Foundation live Zoom classes for free, so 4 classes a week are available.
Full-time students and those applicable can buy an 8 class Members Class Pass option as a concessionary rate for class.
To qualify for concessionary fees (please supply proof at first class):-
• full-time student
• unemployment, housing or on incapacity benefit
• over 60 or under 18 years
• chronic health issues, ask Chris or Shifu Liu (email us)
• children under 16 in adult Foundation class are free with parent
Whether you are new to Taijiquan or more experienced, practicing the foundation training is essential to build strength, calmness, and gain full energy which is necessary for more advanced practice. Our courses are recommended for all new students to gain a grasp of the essential requirements of the Chen style.
Everyone welcome, no previous experience is required.
If you have health issues please let us know and have permission from your doctor before joining our classes.
Our Chen Tai ji Foundation course includes:-
• Nei Gong, internal practice
• Jiben Gong, warm ups and silk reeling exercises
• Understanding tai ji movement principles and the role of the dantian (energy centre) and kua (groin),
• Training for health benefits, agility and better balance
Objectives of the Foundation Chen Taijiquan Course
• Release and learn to soften and relax tension, using your natural breath
• Learn the basic stances and hand positions of the Chen style
• Gain better alignment, balance and coordination
• Standing practice and posture correction for improved alignment and strength
• Understand Silk Reeling exercises, to gain control of balance and weight changing, and to circulate energy throughout the body
• Use of yin yang theory in Tai ji practice
• Understand some of the basic theories and philosophies underlying Chen Taijiquan
• Understand how the martial applications are within apparently simple movements even at the Foundation level.
To help your practice you will receive:-
• Notes with a brief history/principles of Chen style taijiquan with a glossary of terminology
• Detailed posture correction (in Venues only) from Shifu Liu, Chris (if permittable)
• Lesson Plan for self-practice at home and
• Send you Vimeo class links for reference and practice.
“Thank you so much for this amazing material and for organising everything in such a clear way. This course is by far the best one I have ever taken, and I’ve tried quite a few places!”